Friday, September 5, 2008

...Up above the clouds so high...

Like a diamond in the sky...

Okay, no I am not going to start singing nursery rhythms... well not always, and not here.

I was just doing some meditating and I was thinking about being still and at peace. And realized that I felt that while flying last month. What a strange time to feel at peace and at still. Most people would not find being thousands of feet in the air going hundreds of miles an hour the most relaxing place. But I do. I did, at least.

I looked out my window, and was just in awe of the tops of the clouds. Puffy. Giant. So much depth. And all out of something so simple. Water, in a gaseous state. Just by altering the state of water changes something so simple into something so complex. (OK... this is not a science lesson)

I remember flying once when I was a kid, and looking out the window, and thinking that the clouds looked like a castle. I found windows, and doors, draw bridges. Sure part of it was my imagination. Part of it might have even been my love for Care Bears. Put I am sure that I really found a castle in the sky, in those clouds. I might have even see LoveALot Bear, or a few of his friends. Maybe a rainbow or two.

Clouds can be so much, while being almost nothing at all. We usually look up at clouds, or look at them from the sky. From the ground looking up, they look flat. Mostly. Large white spaces in the middle of a blue ocean of sky if you will. Looking at them from the side, you can see more depth, more shape. This is typically the best angle to find shapes and patterns and objects in the clouds. But flying, looking down on clouds is a whole different world, that you can only see a) if your a bird or b) from an airplane.

Spending a few minutes in the plane looking at clouds, finding a memory, being still and feeling peace has demonstrated for me again, how important it is to look at something, examine it, and study it from all angles, before determining what it truly is.

I could have spend hours when I was a kid looking at the clouds out the window of the airplane. I think I might have. I know I did on my plane trips this summer. I wonder what my castle in the clouds would have looked like from the ground up.

Cheers!

3 comments:

T. Bortz said...

You're a dreamer :), as always :).

T. Bortz said...

Well, this isn't a comment about your dreamer-post, since I already commented on that :). Actually, it's a comment about your comment on my last post ... how could YOU be a bad mother or American? :) You are absolutely wonderful in every way!

T. Bortz said...

PS I like the Care Bear comment ... CARE BEAR ... STARE!!!