Monday, April 20, 2009

Museum - Shoeseums!

I have visited my fair share of museums. Some have really stuck out in my mind, LA County Museum of Art http://www.lacma.org/ for one. Others have bored me out of my mind, and I would have rather watched grass grow or paint dry. That may be a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea. I recently found out there is a kids museum here in San Diego. I have always known about the Reuben H Fleet Science Center http://www.rhfleet.org/ which is a wonderful place. The kids often go with school and scouts so as a family we don't go very often. While talking to a few ladies at the mom friendly coffee house a few weeks back, she told me about The New Children's Museum http://www.thinkplaycreate.org/. She did not have a lot of info to tell beyond it is downtown, it's new, and titles something with children's museum. Well it is indeed called The New Children's Museum. We are now annual ticket holders. This place is AMAZING!!!!

It is downtown, next to PetCo Park, and parking is a bit of an issue, but we can also take the trolley! All the 'exhibit's' if you will are designed by artist/scientists with the intent to create and inspire kids thru reusable mediums. Some of the stuff is normal kids museum things, but done in a new green form. Like the bubble area, is a reused kiddie pool, buckets and various other plastic objects found in homes, and pipe cleaners.




There is a wall climbing room.

The Tent City: that my children could not be bothered to wait for the other levels to open, but played underneath no the less...

The Jump on your Bed Room: *do not do this at home*


Porta - Party. Yes, you read that correct. The Porta - Party. Not Porta - Potty!



The Shadow Puppet room/lecture hall: Where my darling daughter gave her first speech!


Look for more adventures from The New Children's Museum, through out the year.

I didn't even talk about the VW Bug to paint, the clay works area or the flower pots or the raining house. We'll get to those... later!

2 comments:

T. Bortz said...

OMG that looks like fun! Next time bring auntie!

Unknown said...

I love these pictures! Can't wait for a return. Grams