Several years ago, a dear friend gave me don Miguel Ruiz's book,
The Four Agreements. Since then I have worked daily to follow the four agreements. Set forth they are simple:
- Be Impeccable With Your Word
- Don’t Take Anything Personally
- Don’t Make Assumptions
- Always Do Your Best
Two and three have prove more difficult then one and four. What brings me to writing about Toltec Wisdom today is my constant battle with learning to not personalize my daughters behaviors and choices. I know in my head their actions, their choices, their behaviors, are not a reflection of me personally. Knowing that should make it easy to separate myself. It does not. The physical space between my head and my heart may be small, but the spiritual space is enormous. As my daughters get older I find it harder to not take their actions personally, rather then easier, as I was hoping it would be.
It is easier to struggle with this daily however then it is to live with the pain and hurt that I feel when I do 'take it personally'. So today I accept, today I proclaim, loudly, for the world to hear (read: who will listen)
I am not the reason, I am the outlet
Lather, rinse, & repeat as necessary. Remember to breathe.
1 comment:
Maybe I should read that book. I think 1 and 3 are really tough ones for me.
Post a Comment