Friday, September 21, 2012

Homemade & Freezer Safe- Pizza Pockets

If only I had a deep chest freezer.  If only I had an extra freezer.  *sigh* Alas, I do not.  So I get by with smaller freezer batches of things.  I like have a few things at the ready for easy packing of lunches or last minute dinners, or last minute guests coming over.  It is so nice to pull something out of the freezer and have it ready to go!

My girls love frozen pizza pockets!  Expensive, (even with a coupon) take up a lot of freezer room (location, location, location! that is some prime real estate!)  So I told them I would make some.

I used our favorite pizza dough recipe.  I found it on Pinterest!  Here is the direct link to the recipe, from Mommys Kitchen- No fail pizza crust.  Easy Peesey and oh so good!

So I make the dough, I roll out the dough.  I use my handy dandy Tupperware Empanada maker to make these.  Makes the whole process so much fast now!

Since I last made this batch, I have discovered that when the Empanada maker is all the way open, the bottom can serve as a round cookie cutter.  I had rolled out and made many individual little dough circles to fit the maker.  No need.  Roll out dough- press out circle, and put on top of empanada maker.


Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning- 

Add your favorite toppings-
here the girls added turkey or ham lunch meat and shredded mozzarella cheese

I have also since learned I should use a little moisture to help lock the seal completely: 
egg whites or a little water should do the trick.  Next time.  
Then fold and voila! 

Line them up on a baking sheet: 

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes 

Let them cool on a cooling rack and then put them in a freezer safe container.  

My girls love to pull one or two out for a quick an easy lunch at home or on the go. 
Pop in the microwave for a minute or two.  
Enjoy!







1 comment:

Ludicrous Mama said...

What a great idea! I never bother since we wouldn't eat a whole batch of anything in time, but freezing them would work out perfectly!

Thank you for linking up to Tried-It-Tuesdays!