Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Girl Scouting- not just for GIRLS

When I was a kid, and my sister was a teen (before driving) we had girl scouts on the same night. i think it was Tuesday's. I am sure this only happened once or twice, but in my memory it happened every week. After school I would be taken to my girl scout meeting by my leaders, Bonnie & Peggy. They would carpool so many of us from Bennett Elementary, to St. Peter's Church. After my meeting I was picked up by my Dad, and Ali would be with him. One of us would pick a fast food restaurant to go to for dinner. I frequently choose Rex, (was that the name of it) I think it now a Taco Time, so that lets you know how long ago this was. After the three of us would eat, Dad would drive Alison to her scout meeting, at the same St. Peter's Church. Then Dad I would go home. I loved scout days. I loved eating with my dad and my sister. I loved how the transition worked. I loved it when it was my turn to choose where we ate, in my memory we got to choose every other week. I also remember that I would fall asleep in the Mercedes, with my head resting on the seatbelt. I always thought it was so cool the way my Dad didn't mind coming into GIRL scout meetings.

Jazmin and Audrey have girl scouts on Tuesday's. They meet every other week. It would be so awesome if their meetings were on the same weeks. As it is, Jazmin meets one week, and Audrey meets next week. Not on the same night.

Tonight I drove Jazmin to her meeting. Their troops are both small less then 10 girls. My troop then was HUGE like 30ish girls I think. I counted four dad's that were dropping their girls off for the meeting. An hour later when I went to pick up Jazmin there were two dad's picking up also.
It warmed my heart.

There are so many stereotypes about Dad's. Even more now then when I was a kid, with the divorce rate so high, and how in many states custody of kids AUTOMATICALLY goes to the moms. (not the topic here and now) But what I am saying is, it is nice to see that my Dad, and my husband, are not the only good dad's out there. There are more of them! They are everywhere! Even on the paperwork to become a girl scout there is a box to check
* Mom * Guardian * Dad * Grandparent * Other

So for all you Dad's out there.... Girl Scouting is not just for Girls
Mom's have been 'Den Mother's" of Boy Scouts for years. It makes me smile when Dad's do the same for their girls.

2 comments:

Alison said...

It was Rax. I loved the chocolate chip milkshakes!!! My scout meetings were at a church in downtown Bellevue though. We didn't have our meetings at St. Peter's until I was a junior and senior (and I was driving then.) I remember Kelly and Tiff thinking it would be fun to saran wrap the Mustang one night during a meeting. Do you remember the night Dad picked us up in the Fierro? It was snowing. We did a 360 at the top of the hill and ended in someone's driveway. We still had to go down the hill and back up to get to our house.

Mandi said...

No kidding do I remember that! I was sitting at your feet, and after the spinning Dad said, we would have paid $0.50 at a carnival for a ride like that!