Thursday, November 13, 2008

Reversal of Rolls

Today was PJ's first gymnastics lesson at the YMCA. My whole life I have had a love for gymnastics. Turning cartwheels from and early age, to pass the time and entertain myself, and at times others. Gymnastics was my art form, my way of expressing myself. As I got older it also became a source of income. Relying on my past to help fund my future. One of my favorite classes I taught were the KinderGym classes. The parent and tot class. I liked it then because I didn't have to do as much, since parents were there to interact with their tots. As I have reflected on it over the years I liked it for showing me enthusiasm and bursts of energy. The tots would come to class energetic and impatient for class to start. As I taught the kids would respond, were over joyed to learn new things, and so proud of themselves. So deeply thirsty for doing more, and always full of wonder.

Today I went to a KindgerGym class again. This time as a Mom, not a teacher or a student. This was odd for me at first, as I have done many things in gymnastics, played many rolls; and quite frankly I thought that I had done them all, but this is a new roll that I did not imagine. I guess I should not dismiss the fact that as a Mom I am a teacher, and did in fact teach PJ during class.

When we first got to class we started on the obstacle course. She wanted to just stand a watch a bit. Classic watcher PJ. I however didn't take long for her to decide to jump right in and start going up and down the wedge mats laid out on the floor. She also seemed to take to the hool-a-hoops. She wanted over to the bars as another little girl and her mom were there. I expected her to again just watch. She surprised me and I think herself, and help her arms straight up to grab on to the bars. The other Mom there help her up, PJ grabbed and hung on the bars, and lifted her toes up to the bar. As a teacher this amazed me. I taught for a long time, and never did I see that on a tots first day, let alone at 13 months old. As a Mom, I am proud, that's my girl. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Then we moved over to the beams. 4 low beams at various heights. She immediately took to them. Swung one leg over the lowest beam and straddled it, walked half the length of the beam. She climbed off and choose another beam. This time she just stood at the end. I picked up and not really thinking she would stand on it with both feet, but she DID! SHE STOOD ON THE BEAM BY HERSELF!!! She didn't walk down it yet, but I don't think it will take long.

Next up was the 'warm ups' and group exercises and song time. She didn't seem so interested in this and kind of bid ed her time until we went to the tumble track. Somewhere between the floor time and tumble track she decided she liked the dads in the class. She kept wandering over to them and between them. Next up was The Pit. As a teacher this was my favorite. The kids liked it the most just behind bubbles at the end of class. The squeals of delight from the kids come fast and loud while playing in the pit. PJ on the other hand, didn't seem so interested. We jumped in together, and she just kind of laid there. Not moving, not doing anything. She started to hand blocks to a little girl that was close to us, but that was it really. When I put her feet on solid ground she seemed happier to be there.

So maybe she is not a pit girl, but a bars girl. Either way, I am so proud, so delighted, (and taking this moment to Mom brag) that PJ did so well, had so much fun, and took to it like a fish to water. I dare say the apple didn't fall far from the tree, in terms of gymnastics as least. As for me, the change in the rolls, are still sinking in for me. It felt so odd, my roll today. I don't think i full grasp it all yet. I feel a tiny out of sorts by the whole thing, but I don't mind one bit, because PJ's taking to gymnastics so quickly makes up for it.

I did not take my camera. I wanted to be focused on her 100% and not torn between interacting and taking pictures. I also didn't think she would do a whole lot today. Like I said before, I just expected her to watch mostly. I will include pictures next time.

1 comment:

T. Bortz said...

Yay, a little gymnast! Apparently (according to the Bee), I talk about gymnastics ALL . THE . TIME, even though I last did it 10 years ago. I guess it really was a big part of our youth, wasn't it? Ah, those were good times. Occasionally (more often than you'd think), I have the strongest urge to do a handstand or pull myself up on a bar. Unfortunately, in the grown up world (and especially wet, hilly Seattle), there is a real scarcity of level, open spaces for handstands or steady, low bars. Oh well, looks like it's time for a new generation!