Friday, January 16, 2009

Journey of a Thousand Miles: Thru the Desert

While managing a restaurant in the middle of the desert for some six years I met a lot of interesting people. None more interesting perhaps than those that elected to walk thru the desert. Not all had the same start or finish point, some were shorter trips then others, some were for a truly deep and meaning full purpose and others were 'just for fun'. (I am not one that thinks walking thru the desert is a great way to pass the weekend). However this is not about my opinion.

There was the middle aged man that was walking from LA to NY, dressed as Charlie Chaplain. His wife had died from a rare form of cancer. Somehow his walk as Charlie Chaplain, would bring interest and knowledge to his late wife's form of cancer. A last testament of his love.

I could not forget the college guy that begged pity, for me to make him a fresh lemon, apple, ginger, wheat grass drink late in the afternoon. (I obligated but not out of pity, out of support) His journey was from San Diego to a retreat center in Phoenix where he would spend the next 6 months in silence.

Two women, maybe in their thirties, were not walking but rather riding. I think there were more riders, bicycle riders that is, then I chatted with. The couple was delighted at my interest in their journey and at my willingness to fill not only their water bottles but their camelbac's with ice and water.

There was a late teen making the journey thru the Mojave, whilst he decided about a course after high school. He was stunned that his rest at my little cafe was going to be the last for at least 300+ miles. I think I have spent the most time thinking about him after our chance meeting. He was not prepared for the heat, the desolation, the distance. My friend and coworker Laura and I begged him to get more rations, more prepared before he headed out. I gave him the phone number and asked him to call when he got to a resting stop. He never did call. I probably never really thought he would. I think he was headed to Las Vegas, and then where ever the wind took him after that.

There were many more, some more memorable then the rest, and some that seeping into the background of my memory. It takes a truly strong individual to walk thru the desert. I am sure I do not have to describe the heat, whatever your imagination has conjured up multiple that by about 10 and there you have it. Days that can get upwards of 115 degrees is not the most comfortable to be out in. Let alone walking in. It is true what they say about joshua tree's; they point the way to Israel, and only grow in 29 Palms and Hell. The bugs...oh the bugs. Bugs as big as your head. Blood thirsty bugs.

Most of the people I met making this journey were alone. For this purpose alone and none other, I would never be able to join in their ranks, of desert walkers. It is difficult for me to be alone for several days, when I have constant sources of modern entertainment. Any task alone is an effort for me. As I have gotten older I have adapted. I still can't go to the movies alone. I feel more comfortable with my friends, with a friend; it makes the task so much more fun. A close friend once told me if I wanted to, he would pay for me to participate in a 2 week silence mediation retreat. I can't do it. I couldn't do it.

I suppose the journey would not be all bad. The desert silence is a great escape from the constant hum of the city. Actually, the desert if you are still enough, quite has it's own sounds, like nothing else. Just as the forest makes its own music so does the desert. Coming from a self proclaimed city girl this is a much anticipated plus. The sunsets: desert sunsets are only second to desert sunrises. Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but they do no justice to desert days beginning and endings.

In the last 3 days I saw several people making their own 1000 mile journey thru the desert. It made me think of my past encounters, and how each of them left a footprint; on myself, on the others they enlightened along their journey, and on the desert. To all that make a journey of a thousand miles thru the desert, or else where, I salute you.

No comments: